Monday, March 7, 2011

In the Eye of the Beholder

Sometimes it's in the way I strike a chord on the ebony or ivory keys, maybe it's the sound they make. Sometimes it's a color, or some small insignificant moment that brands itself in my mind as something that is indeed important. It can be the way the breeze sweeps through my hair and leaves one loose strand at my cheek, it can be the smell of a summer afternoon. Sometimes, it's the way the rain streaks down my face, or soaks into my jacket. Sometimes, it's the lyrics in a song, sometimes even, a simple note that strikes me as familiar or beautiful...Sometimes, perhaps, it is a photo, or even a mere word I come across when I am reading my favorite novel. Sometimes, it's the way I sit, or stand, that reminds me....or helps me remember something that hasn't happened.
It's that moment in which you feel a burst of creativity. As silly as it may sound, I can sometimes think of an entire idea from the way the sunlight hits a single shard of glass lying in the road. For some, it inspires a song, or a painting. For others, a story or a poem. Sometimes, its only a second, like a stabbing memory coming as I touch the keys of my piano. It swipes forward, and disappears, and all that is left is that feeling of reminiscence. If you don't grab it and write it down, it's gone forever. But it's that feeling of creativity that drives some of us.
It often frustrates me when it comes and goes so quickly that I don't have time to piece the emotion to an idea, or even a memory. Sometimes, they are so sad I want to burst into tears, sometimes so happy I can't smile big enough. But it's these moments that bring together all that is beautiful in the world. Sometimes, things strike you in such a way that it can't be forgotten. Others, slip away, pretending to be something unimportant; but it's in the end, when those small, dancing memories that are so hard to remember, become the most desired.
Perhaps one of my favorite quotes in the whole world would be what follows: "Creativity is not the finding of a thing, but the making something out of it after it is found." -James Russell Lowell
Farewell, my readers, if you are there...
"'Cause I'm so afraid, is that the light at the far end of the tunnel, or just the train?" -Owl City, Tidal Wave (not that it relates to my post this time; just because :))

No comments:

Post a Comment